In class yesterday, we talked extensively about the role of free speech in abolitionism. We also discussed the importance of being heard and the willingness to listen to viewpoints other than our own.
A true challenge to the notion of free speech is the right of those whose opinions are offensive in our view to freely express those views. On the ACLU of Florida Website, this point is adeptly made:
"The First Amendment exists precisely to protect the most offensive and controversial speech from government suppression. The best way to counter obnoxious speech is with more speech. Persuasion, not coercion, is the solution."
Later, the ACLU defended the right of Ku Klux Klan members to be heard, regardless of the content of their message. As a lesbian, I hear many offensive, hurtful comments directed toward my brothers and sisters in the gay/bisexual/transgender community. However, as an unwavering believer in free speech (and its implied expression), I would have to defend the right of others to protest against my lifestyle, as hateful as the tone may be, or for the Ku Klux Klan to gather to express their views. This is the true challenge. Free speech is only as strong as our ability to defend the right of people to express views most in opposition to our own. Free speech which is only spoken/heard by those with whom we agree does not test the depths and profundity of this freedom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Although I don't agree with members of the KKK or people that are against people solely because of their sexual preference, I have to say that I do believe in "free speech." I express my strong opinion on prejudice subjects and how I don't agree with them. I am more of a left wing person politically and believe everyone should have the right to express their opinons. I think that there is a difference between free speech and ethical responsibility as a communicator. I simply don't believe the beliefs of the KKK are ethical, but then again that is my personal opinion. I also liked the quote that you obtained from the college in Florida. It was interesting to me that they believed in order to end "obnoxious" speech is by more speech. That was a very intriguing point.
I find it hard to reconcile some free speech with my desire to protect free speech. So I applaud your open-mindedness!
At what point though does it cross the line of not being free speech but hate speech? I'm sorry but the KKK is the best example of how people in society abuse freedom of speech. Yeah, they have a right to believe what they want to believe and have the right to say it, but once they start spreading thier garbage to younger generations, all they are doing are continuing an endless cycle of hatred that will stay in this country for a long time to come.
Post a Comment