Thursday, February 1, 2007

First seminar meeting...and first post

Here goes....This is my first blog post ever, anywhere.

Today in class we met in our seminar groups. I am pleasantly surprised, as we seem to have a positive, collaborative group. We spent a bit of time breaking the ice, naming our group (Seminar Samurais), and talking about parameters and aspirations we have as a semester-long seminar group.

We all agreed that everyone in the group should pull their weight, share ideas and responsibilities, and talked for a little while about past negative and positive group experiences/projects with which we have been involved. I've never before been in a group where all of us have had to pull a majority of the weight and do most of the work in previous classes (actually, last semester's Ways of Knowing group was terrific, a positive experience all around, where work was more or less evenly distributed).

We also agreed that it is difficult and stressful to have one's grade dependent upon all team members in dysfunctional teams. All that said, after the first meeting, we all seem to be on the same page.

I'm excited to work with my seminar team (a few of them classmates from previous classes) and look forward to Thursdays! On first impression, we seem to have a good rapport.

1 comment:

freespeechblogarama said...

Hello fellow blogger, and fellow group member....I totally agree that we're a great group, and as a group we could come up with a lot more than what we can expect. Right after seeing every group member positive attitude i became enthusiastic about working with everyones....We have taken courses together, but i never had the chance to work with you....but I could say that you have a positive attitude towards sharing your thoughts and ideas. I look forward in working with you, and with the rest of the group or the Seminar Samurais..........