Friday, March 9, 2007

Haiku Lover Coming Out of the Closet...



Last week, I shared my experience of family as a lesbian in a long-term relationship. Now, I am coming out about another matter about which I am passionate: haiku! In fact, as a creative writing and social action concentration, I am beginning to work on a collection of original haiku for my capstone next semester.


Here is a brief (and superficial) definition of haiku. Haiku is a form of poetry originated in 17th century Japan of seventeen sound units (similar but not equivalent to English-language syllables). They focus on the link between nature and human nature, take place in the present, do not rhyme, and are typically three short lines (17 or fewer syllables in English). Often, haiku are referred to as "one breath poems" because they say so much in few words. Many American writers/poets have written haiku: Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Billy Collins, Richard Wright, and Diane Di Prima. When I discovered haiku as a viable poetic form, I fell head over heels in love. I simply am hooked.


To make it more tangible, here are a few examples of haiku I might include in my capstone collection (I'm striving for 17 syllables but usually write haiku in fewer syllables):


this lavender breeze...
a wild bobcat's eye catches
the feline in me


sleeping in her curve...
she gently brushes my breast,
pulls me in closer


rusted and empty
the weight of the last rat trap
left in the corner


anniversary...
every day for nine years
the heat of her hands


Love is also a theme I include in many of my haiku. If you're interested in learning more about haiku, here a few good Websites to view:

Young Leaves, Modern Haiku, Haiku Poets of Northern California, and Haiku Society of America.

1 comment:

Jordan Stidham said...

Wow- that is great poetry. You definitely have a gift to express so much in so few words. I, myself, love poetry but am pretty much empty of poetic creativity. I think it is just great to express yourself in such a beautiful manner.

I was just wondering if you want to pursue teaching haiku in your future as a professor?

See you in class. bye